Due to the continued rapid spread of the coronavirus in South Carolina, and across the country, resulting in curfews and shelter-in-place orders in American cities, including Columbia, SC, I have made the difficult decision to extend online and virtual instruction through the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. As you may be aware, our state higher education institutions have been directed to do so, and most private institutions in the state, have opted to comply with the Governor’s directive. As always, the safety of our students, staff and faculty is our primary consideration.
Please note that a final decision regarding spring commencement will be made no later than Monday, March 30, 2020.
Below are key areas and updates that can be useful as you prepare to continue with online and virtual course instruction:
Course Instruction Structure:
- Online and Virtual course work will be provided in E360.
- Professors will be available for Office Hours, a minimum of 5 virtual hours a week.
- Student assignments will be required for submission via E360 Dropboxes for each course at least twice (2x’s) per week.
- Assignment submission will also be used to document class attendance.
- Professors will update attendance and grades weekly so that students can track their progress.
- NO textbooks are needed for online and virtual classes – Professors will provide course materials in E360 or via other methods compatible with your smartphones.
Courses that were previously approved as online courses will continue as scheduled. Any questions or concerns regarding the online and virtual courses should be directed to the Student Success Center (SSC) – email@example.com or 803-705-4960.
How the Student Success Center (SSC) will continue to help you to be #TheBESTofBC
Student Success Specialists will be available to provide one-on-one consults via Microsoft Teams, which can be accessed via your BC Outlook account. Student Success Specialists will discuss academic strategies and resources to assist you in preparing for online instruction. Below you will find a list of the SSC staff you can reach via video, online chat and email.
- Latash Adams – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marcus Campbell – email@example.com
- Wanja Montgomery – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rashad Paige – email@example.com
- James Winfield – firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Probation (SAP). Students who have to fulfill requirements for SAP will need to complete three (3) academic success workshops with a Student Success Specialist:
- *All SAP workshops will move to an online format – video, online chat and email.
- Communication will follow (email and E360) regarding dates and workshop titles.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 803-705-4690
- To help you learn online, we have resources for you in E360 or at https://benedict.edu/covid-19-updates/ in the Online & Virtual Course Instruction Resources section.
- We are offering one-on-one assistance via phone, email and video conferencing.
President & CEO – Benedict College 2019
HBCU of the Year
Dr. Roslyn Clark Artis