DIVISION: Academic Affairs
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Department Chair
Department: Biology, Chemistry and EHS
The School of Science and Engineering is seeking candidates for part-time faculty in the field of Chemistry. This position will teach undergraduate courses in Chemistry as assigned by the Department Chair or Dean. In all matters, faculty are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional ethics consistent with the Benedict College Mission.
- Teaching responsibilities include, but are not limited to, General Chemistry and lab, Organic Chemistry and lab, upper-level courses that align with educational training.
- Prepare course syllabi and teach assigned courses based on approved departmental syllabi.
- Prepare all exams and assessments needed for assigned course(s).
- Work collaboratively with departmental faculty to ensure standard curriculum outcomes are met.
- Be available outside of class to help students learn and to answer their questions (5 offices hours per week, in-person and/or virtual).
- Conduct respectful relationships with faculty, staff, and students both in and outside of the classroom.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to teach lower and upper-level Chemistry courses.
- Ability to effectively learn and use instructional technology, including our learning management system (Canvas).
- Willingness and flexibility to teach day, evening and weekend sections as needed.
- Ability to work collegially and productively within the college community.
- Ability to respond to the needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Master’s degree in Chemistry or closely related field.
Qualified applicant should submit:
- Benedict College application
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- List of three references with contact information
Official transcripts and background check will be required before hiring.
Submit Application Packet to:
For further information, contact:
Professor Larry Lowe, Chair,
Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Health Science Department
1600 Harden Street
Columbia, SC 29204
To apply for this job please visit benedict.edu.